Re: CP seeds

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 18:58:12 PST

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:58:12 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP seeds

In CP Digest 1353 Andrew wrote:

How do you stratify Sarracenia seeds and care for them? Since I don't
have a fungal spray, can ROOTONE,the rooting hormone powder with
Fungicide be used instead?

> Thanks a lot!
>
> -Andrew-

Here is what has worked for me in the past stratifying Sarracenia seed.
I use ordinary coffee filter paper (the kind your sundry one in the
kitchen takes) and damp it down with a solution of distilled water and
fungicide. You can probably do the same with Rootone. After thoroughly
wetting the paper I take my seed and sprinkle it on. Fold it in half,
roll it up, and stick it in a small airtight container. I use 2" glass
vials with a rubber top but you could also use a small ziplock sandwich
bag rolled up and secured with a rubber band. Then just stick it inside
your refrigerator towards the back of a shelf.

I leave the seeds there around 8 weeks. A day before sowing I put the
seed vials in the freezer for 24 hours. This process mimics a naturally
occurring hard freeze in Sarracenia habitats.

I prepare pots with pure chopped live sphagnum, take the seed vials out
of the freezer and wait for them to thaw out (about an hour). I sprinkle
the seeds thinly over the surface of the moss without covering them with
any further medium. Then they get a nice soaking blast of distilled
water and fungicide and are put in one of my indoor tanks. The pots are
positioned about a foot away from a pair of 40-watt full spectrum
flourescents on a 14 hour photoperiod. I always keep about a half inch
of standing water on the bottom of the tanks to provide high humidity
and a sheet of glass over the top. Depending on how fresh your sarr
seeds are expect to see signs of germination within 2-4 weeks. Using a
magnifying lens of about 15 power you'll notice a small green tendril
emerging from the side of the seed and extending down into the medium.

Hope this helps!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com