Re: Eau de Nepenthes for Men

From: Chris Frazier (cfrazie@unm.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 18 1998 - 12:30:57 PST

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 13:30:57 -0700
From: cfrazie@unm.edu (Chris Frazier)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Eau de Nepenthes for Men

>Today, my nose and I discovered the sweet fragrance of the Nepenthes flowers.
>
>I'm really wondering what kind of pollinators do they attract with such a...
>'perfume'...

What species is it?

N. ampullaria smells like a sweaty horse and is probably attracting flies.
N. rafflesiana has no smell as far as I know and may be pollinated by
beetles. N. gracilis has a sweet smell. The latter appears to produce its
nectar in the evening and night and it is likely to be polllinated
primarily by moths. There is very little published data on pollination in
Nepenthes even anecdotally.

Chris

Chris Frazier
Dept. of Biology, UNM