Intro + Dividing VFT's

From: Andrew Gibbons (A.Gibbons@sci.monash.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 18 1998 - 20:55:09 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 14:55:09 +1000
From: Andrew Gibbons <A.Gibbons@sci.monash.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Intro + Dividing VFT's

Hi. My name is Andrew Gibbons. I'm kind of new to CP growing,
having recieved a VFT as a gift a few weeks ago. I did try growing
one about 6 years ago but it soon died within 1-2 months (Probably
due to the fact that I didn't know a great deal about CP growth
requirements). So, being relatively unfamiliar with growing VFT's,
or any CP for that matter, I'll apologise in advance for any stupid
questions I ask, or any question's for which the answer is blatantly
obvious.

Anyway, I've decided to give my current plant more of a chance at life.
I've looked around the internet, read the FAQ and other growing
instructions on various homepages and after following their advice
the plant is still alive and what's more seems quite healthy. When
I received the plant it was quite large to begin with ~20-30 traps
with active traps ranging between 1-4 cm. So, I've decided it's best
to try to divide and re-pot it. Which, eventually, leads me to my
first question. Can division of these plants be carried out at any time
during the year without detriment to the plant or should I wait for a
particular time in the year until I re-pot it? Secondly I've read that
when a trap begins to blacken, cutting the trap off will promote the
growth of new traps. Should the leaf be cut at the "neck" of the trap
or at the base of the leaf to best promote regrowth?

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew Gibbons
Rm 340