Re: Non-pitchering Nep.

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 19 1998 - 06:41:54 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:41:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Non-pitchering Nep.

> Hi, All
>
> I have a Nep. question. I currently have a Nep. Gracilis (that's what =
> it was labeled), it putting out leaves on a regular basis. The plants =
> seems to be growing fine, the leaves are dark green but it has not =
> pitchered from the day I got it. I got the plant back in Aug.97. Does =
> anyone have any technique or hints on making this plant pitcher.
> I'm currently watering the plant twice a week, with a weak solution of
=
> Superthrive. The Gracilis sits in a 29gal. tank with 4 Flour. tubes =
> above it. It has a photo period of 14hrs. and a temp from 60-85deg. and =
> a Humidity level from 40-70 percent.
> Thank for any advice you can give me.
> Peter

Peter: N gracilis tends to be easy pitchering and it sounds like your
conditions are reasonable (even though 60F is lower than ideal for this
one). So, you might consider 1) increasing the photo period slowly to
about 18 hours over the next few months, 2) closing the terrarium
(assuming a 70% humidity means the top is open), and 3) cutting out
superthrive. FWIW, your regular use of superthrive is the only thing
that sounds out of the ordinary to me.

Tom in Fl.