Re: Non-pitchering Nep.

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 19 1998 - 16:07:37 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 20:07:37 -0400
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Non-pitchering Nep.

Hi All:

I have a bit of a problem with this first (quoted) paragraph:

>>There are two basic characteristics of carnivorous plants: the plants must
>>absorb nurients from captured prey and hasve special devices to attract,
>>capture and then digest they prey.

I think that the characteristics of a CP can be more variable and less
defined than "two". There are four, to my mind, listed here.

>>In Brocchinia reducta, tank water has a sweet, nectar-like odor which
>>entices insects to approach. The leaves forming the A"tank" of this
>>tubular species are coated with a waxy scurf which make it nearly
>>impossible to depart once the insects enter the interior and land in
>>the tank fluid. Trichomes in the leaves absorb the amino acids and
>>other products of decay from the dead bugs. There is an article on
>>the canivorous nature of Brocchinia reducta by Harvey L. Kendall
>>entitled "Brocchina reducta: A Carnivorous Bromeliad from the Guyana
>>Highlands of Venezuela." This article is in the March-April 1995 issue
>>of the BSI's Journal, Volume 45, Number 2. It has lots of cultural
>>information and some good pictures. Hope that this helps!! Becca
>>LEitten an slua si@aol.com

I thought that the discussion about carnivorous Bromeliads was settled:
There were none recognized.

Anyone? Jan? Something that I can quote would be nice.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson
New Brunswick