Re: Eau de Nepenthes

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 1998 - 18:39:01 PST

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 21:39:01 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Eau de Nepenthes

Trent here in the office. Couldn't help but respond to the Nepenthes
flower fragrance string. Right now, my N. xMargaretea (yea, I know, its
not formally registered) is in bloom and her "perfume" fills the
greenhouse at night. I would not exactly call it sweet. To me, and I
know this sounds strange, it smells more like stale corn chips. Pungent
Fritos. N. Dyeriana smells the same, and he blooms for me every August.
The only sweet smell I've ever detected from a Nepenthes is the smell
produced from some pitchers. On hot, muggy days, the same N. Dyeriana
produces a strong, sweet lemon-lime smell, strongest around the
pitcher lid. I've detected this also from other plants, including
species, but not as noticeable as N. Dyeriana.

Thanks for the input on N. merrilliana. I also grow N. globamphora and
truncata, and even though in nature they are from the same geographical
region, both are much faster and more robust growers. Any further input
is greatly appreciated.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida