Re: Non-pitchering Nep -> Carnivorous bromeliads

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 05:35:25 PST

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 09:35:25 -0400
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Non-pitchering Nep -> Carnivorous bromeliads

>>I thought that the discussion about carnivorous Bromeliads was
>>settled:
>>There were none recognized.
>>
>>Anyone? Jan? Something that I can quote would be nice.
>
>I am not sure who to attribute this quote to but I feel it is
>appropriate.
>
>"Nature does not define. Man does."

Nature alone defines. Nature is. Man, pertimes, has the acumen to express
some of those definitions. Perhaps your quote refers only to the human
tendency to use labels, a necessary consequence of language..

>Do you actually expect to get a consensus of opinions on this?

I expect to hear some science on this, as I have in the past. Opinion is
easily come by. A source or two would be nice. I do know that there has
been some research done on the question of carnivorous Bromeliads. I
_think_ that I have heard on this List that there is a scientific consensus
on what makes a plant carnivorous. This is why I am posting this question
here.

>Pardon my sarcasm but I can imagine some jokes that start out
>with "how many scholars does it take to determine if a plant is
>carnivorous?"
>
>Richard Ellis "ricell@juno.com"

One good one, Richard, whose experiments and results can be reliably
duplicated. Very few scholars do practical research.

Kind Regards,

Rand