Re: Non-pitchering Nep

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 18:24:00 PST

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 21:24:00 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Non-pitchering Nep

I finally had to jump in on this N. gracilis that won't pitcher. Rather
than quote the original statement for the umpteenth time, I'll get to my
observations on N. gracilis, as described. I agree with all the other
Nep growers: stop giving it so much Superthrive. Superthrive works best
at reducing transplanting shock, and keeping seedlings robust. Mature
plants are not much affected. I find gracilis stops pitchering when it
is not getting enough light- footcandle (lumens)-wise, not so much
duration. I had a gracilis that vined out with luxurious leaves, and no
pitchers, during the middle of the summer. Long days, but growing in the
shade. The best pitchers are produced when the leaf color is a bright
yellow green. The dark pitchered form will have a reddish flush at the
base of the leaves and the main vine. Also the leaves are closer
together, creating a more compact plant. Keep in mind, when it is
brighter, watch out for low humidity!

Gotta go!

Until later,

Trent Meeks