Revenge of the insect prey

From: Ivan X Lim (lim_ivan@jpmorgan.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 00:49:04 PST

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:49:04 +0900
From: "Ivan X Lim"<lim_ivan@jpmorgan.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Revenge of the insect prey

I just read the following excerpt from from the CACTI_ETC mailing list
1397.
So I was just wondering if any of you had a similar experience of the
insect
prey emerging victorious over the plants. I lost one of my VFT's as a
result
of a really rare/strange twist of fate.

I was looking at my plants one day when I noticed one of them not looking
particularly healthy. Upon closer inspection of the leaves, I found that
even
healthy looking ones detach very easily when tuggged gently. Suspecting
rot,
I unearthed the plant from its peat medium & found the rhizome infested
with
fly larvae!! They were eating my plant alive & caused the rhizome to rot
:(!!

I could only speculate that some fly that my plant caught must've been abt
lay its load of larvae when it got trapped. Then the larvae escaped before
the
trap fully closed on them, found their way to the rhizome & decided to make
 it
their home.

Thank goodness, this is not an everyday occurence. But I'm just curious to
find
out if I'm the only one.

Happy growing :)
Ivan