Re: Cultivar Confusion

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 24 1998 - 19:38:06 PST

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 22:38:06 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cultivar Confusion

Trent here in the office. I've been following this hybrid string now
for three days and now I'm ready to jump in.

First of all. Thank you Mark Oveson for the fabulous description of how
orchid hybrid naming works. I am/was an orchid grower before I picked up
on Nepenthes and CP in general. Your description was not too long but a
well stated document on a very logical nomenclature for hybrids.

I see no reason why this methodology cannot be applied to Nepenthes.

The Japaneses growers do something like this. N. Rokko is not a
cultivar, as there are male and female plants, indicating it is a hybrid
name. Leo's posting about the Koto crosses also indicates this. The
entire grex is given a name, and then individual plants are numbered.
These numbered plants are the cultivars.

Those two bad boys of Nepenthes, Clyde Bramblett and especially Bruce
Bednar, name their crosses, and published them in the CP Digest back in
the early nineties, as they were told to do- back then. Bruce's hybrid
N. Excellens has produced some great cultivars, namely N. Excellens
"Jessica Laureen", N. Excellens"Superba", and one beautiful clone that
has not yet been named. One important advantage to this method is the
hybrid name immediately tells the parentage. N. Excellens is (N. Rokko X
N. Mixta) This is a lot easier and just as succunct as saying ((N.
thorelii X N. maxima) X (N. northiana X N. maxima)).

Now, what I am calling a "hybrid name", as described above; is this the
same thing as a "cultivar group"?
Or, is a "cultivar group" basically the Japanese method, ie. everytime
the cross is remade (same parents or different clones of same parents)
the grex (the siblings) is given a different name. Example: N. Rokko, N.
Balmy Koto, and N. Masamiae are all N. thorelii X N. maxima. ?

Where hybids get complex, namely Sarracenia and Nepenthes, why not
register the names of hybrids as well as distinctive cultivars?

Okay Jan, I've planted both feet firmly on the ground and put on my flak
jacket. Fire away.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida