Oops, forgot to change the subject - On seedling N. madagascariensis

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 09:32:20 PST

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:32:20 -0600 (CST)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Oops, forgot to change the subject - On seedling N. madagascariensis

Dave Evans wrote:

> This morning, I repotted some of the seedling S.madagascarensis
> which grew from seed send by Cindy. It's odd, but some are growing
> very fast while others are lagging greatly. One seedling is nearly
> an inch across already! Most are still only producing their second
> or third leaves though and there is third group still sending up
> cotyledon.

Hi Dave,

I also have N. madagascariensis from Cindy (Hi Cindy!), which show
variable growing rates. They are all in the same growing area and
experience the same growing conditions. I have several which are larger
than the others (not like yours Dave, 1 inch across, wow!), but sprouted
later than some. In fact, the very first seedling to have sprouted, is
only about average size now. I attribute this to genetic differences, some
seeds just having been formed with 'more'. For example, I noticed that
some seeds were larger than others, not just in length, but in mass.

It just so happens that these seedlings are quite protected in our 'home'
environments, and if it were an ensemble in the wild, we might see more
uniform sizes, where the ones which had 'less' wouldn't have survived, and
therefore not be observed. Just some of my thoughts on the matter.

Dave, get back to me on your growing conditions, please.

Paul Burkhardt