D. burmannii tentacle movement

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Fri Feb 27 1998 - 22:47:48 PST

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 01:47:48 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. burmannii tentacle movement

This evening, while tending my tank of seedings, I experienced another
CP "moment".

I was inspecting my 4 month-old seedling D. burmannii plants and noticed
one that was larger than most (1/2 inch or so). While watching the outer
tentacles through a 10x lens I brushed my finger across said matter. At
once these tentacles began to fold in towards the center of the
leafblade. What utterly astonished me was the speed at which they did
this! Naked eye, it was clear as day- roughly the same speed as a low
humidity VFT trap closes (90 degrees in 15 seconds).

Phewwww!!!

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com