Re:N. tobaica Help!!!

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Mar 01 1998 - 17:55:37 PST

Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 20:55:37 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:N. tobaica Help!!!

What is happening is one of two things:

1. If the stem is turning brownish, but first showing a slight
yellowing, then the vine is developing its outer woody covering. No
problem.

2. If a bright green stem is turning markedly black, with a nice clean
line between the two colors (green/black). Big problem.

To save the plant in case #2, cut off the top green part, hopefully with
a few nodes, and treat it like a new cutting. There is no way to save
the black portion of the stem, as it is indeed fungus infected. Make
sure you cut well above the black line. Place the new cutting in a
clean environment, away from any air borne spores sure to exist in the
old environment.

Soaking the green portion , the new cutting, in a mild systemic
fungicide , such as Clearies, might help prevent further infection.
Personally, I'm not so convinced this really helps. I find some
Nepenthes are a little fussy about fungicides. They must be applied in
small, dilute doses.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida