Re:Cultivar Stuff

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Mar 02 1998 - 08:54:18 PST

Date:          Mon, 2 Mar 1998 08:54:18
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re:Cultivar Stuff

Dear Trent,

> From what I understand about "cultivar groups" or "grex group" (is
> the latter a valid term?),

No.

> there must be at least two named cultivars amongst the siblings to
> qualify.

Not really. There must be at least one named cultivar. But you are of
course right that a group that includes only one member is rather
degenerated, and there is no good reason to name it as a group (it is
sufficient to name the member).

> Apparently, this same methodology applies to both Sarracenia and
> Nepenthes-actually, just about all other flowering plants except
> orchids.

Yes.

> Sometimes all the hybrid siblings are attractive. (Example; the
> invalid name of N. splendiana (N. kampotiana X maxima)). All
> "splendiana" have a distinctive look. I can spot 'em instantly in a
> greenhouse full of Neps (not a frequent sight). Yet, I have not seen
> one that deserves cultivar status.

So they cannot be "attractive" or have a "distinctive look". A
cultivar does not need to be an awarded clone, it must only be
*distinguishable* from other cultivars.

> Could this grex

There is no grex in non-orchids!

> be given a name? Say, N. Splendid ? From what I understand, it
> cannot.

Everything can be given a name.

It (all individuals) or a selected batch of it could be named as one
cultivar _N._ 'Splendid' or if the differences between several
individuals are sufficiently large (only the registrant must be
convinced of this; the IRA does not judge it!), several plants can be
named as cultivars. All these cultivars could be united in a
_Nepenthes_ Splendid Group.

> I've got two of these plants. One is male and one is female. Could a
> cultivar name be based upon gender?

Male and female individuals can be distinguished, so the difference
would formally be qualified to (partially) base cultivar delimitations
on it. In _Nepenthes_, this should not be the *only* distinguishing
feature, because there are cultivars of both genders (or of undefined
gender) already.

Kind regards
Jan