Re: Nep growers in FL

From: Stefan Ploszak (imduff@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 07 1998 - 08:13:27 PST

Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 08:13:27 PST
From: "Stefan Ploszak" <imduff@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep growers in FL

Hi Trent,

>Trent here in FL. The Nep growers who has been making these hybrids
>since the early 1980's, mainly Bruce Bednar and Clyde Bramblett, >named
their hybrids using the methods of their predecessors, people >like
James Taplin and Veitch Nurseries. As far as they knew, their >was no
registration authority, and in fact, had been told
>to register their hybrids by publishing the parents and resultant
>cultivar groups in the CPN.

I'll comment on this since you've quoted my letter. I believe that Bruce
and Clyde have not formally established their clones because, like many
of us, they are unfamiliar with the ICNCP (you've mentioned this and
they are certainly in good company). However, ignorance is not a
defense, as they have many hybrids with informal names on their
pricelists and these plants(with their informal names) continue to
circulate. Heck, I even grow one of them.

>Please check your back issues from the late 1980's and early 1990's >to
verify this fact.

I am familiar with the CPNs of the late '80s and there is a Nep cultivar
named by a person that you probably know. Cliff Dodd, also of FL,
formally named a Nep('Ron Determann') in an '89 issue. Did Bruce and
Clyde use the same format that Cliff used in the mentioned CPN?
 Anyway, I wanted to make the point that a similar situation is being
created with Dionaea. There are now several variants being cultivated
worldwide and only the 'Royal Red' and 'Aki Ryu' are named as cultivars.
Where did these other variants come from? Someone should formally name
these variants, as the creators haven't. In the next couple of years
there will be dozens of variant progeny from these original Dionaea
variants and the original clones could be lost.

>I am currently photographing, in detail, specific cultivars and
>examples from cultivar groups, of these many hybrids. They will be
>re-named to ICNCP standards, and appropriately described once the
>proper format is fully understood.

Good to hear. I didn't mean to offend any of the FL people with my
comments, I just wanted to make a point.

Best wishes,
Stefan