RE: CP's, Peter Pauls, New Plants...

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Mon Mar 09 1998 - 08:29:00 PST

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 11:29:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: CP's, Peter Pauls, New Plants...

Friday, March 06, 1998 10:15PM

>The plants I recieved were:

>S. flava
>S. purpurea
>S. psittacina

> This leads me to my next question.. These being my new plants I've
>never grown any of the Darlingtonia's or Sarracernia's before and
>wanted to know if I should do anything special?... I haven't checked
the exact ># of footcandles but I have two 4 foot shoplights

Hi Richard,

You'll want to put the pitcher plants as close to the fluorescent lights
as possible since they like lot's of light. I've kept S. minor under
fluorescent lights for a summer and it did fine. I've read that the
tall growing Sarr are somewhat difficult under fluorescent lights
because the growing tip is too far from the light source because older
pitchers keep the fluor. lights away from the growing tip. This cause
new growth to emerge under less light and might effect their growth.
You'll need to keep an eye on the new growth to decide if they need to
spend the summer outdoors in direct light. If the light is not
sufficient, the new pitchers will be tall and thin looking and probably
lean or fall over easily. Certainly, though, give your fluorescent set
up a chance and see how things progress.

Good luck,
David