Re: lime

From: Wim Leys (Wim.Leys@vlm.be)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 03:48:29 PST

Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:48:29 +0100
From: Wim Leys <Wim.Leys@vlm.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: lime

Dear Carles

> I live in Mallorca (in the middle of the west Mediterranian
> sea) and this
> island is all with lime soil (whith a lot of CaCO3). Because all CP I
> know are fron acid soils, Iwant to know which plant you recomend me to
> plant here??. Because I want to plant some CP in the Botanical Garden
> (Jard\355 Botanic de Soller).

I know S. purpurea ssp purpurea grows in alkaline marl bogs. They stay
smaller and become redder than plants grown in acid soil.

Perhaps you can also grow Drosophyllum lusitanicum. It prefers a well
drained and dryer soil, but I don't know if it can be grow in alkaline
soil. Does anyone on this list know ?

Kind regards
Wim