N. ven/burkei re-fried

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 14:37:00 PST

Date:    Wed, 11 Mar 98 17:37 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. ven/burkei re-fried

Hello List,

   I recently asked what the differences between N. ventricosa and
N. burkei are. It seems that _N.burkei_ has a funnel-shaped upper
pitcher while _V.ventricosa_ have hourglass-shaped upper pitchers.
Yesterday, I received an Orchids Limited catalog and on page 59 there
is a color photo of what is labelled N.burkei clearly showing hourglass-
shaped pitchers. Does anyone who has seen a "real" N.burkei also have
this catalog? Or if you don't have the cat., but know what N.burkei
looks like, I'd like to send this photo to you for comment.
   The N.burkei in this photo looks just like all the N.burkei and
N.ventricosa that I have seen (it's either that or all the plants I
have seen labled N.ventricosa are really mislabled N.burkei). I still
don't know what the differing feature seperating these species is/are
yet. Please be patience with me on this confusing subject.

Thanks,
Dave Evans