Nepenthes rooting chamber details

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 09:55:38 PST

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:55:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes rooting chamber details

Hi folks,
        I have been asked to reveal the details of my Nepenthes rooting
chamber. OK!, Here goes.
        I use an old aquarium. Inside this is a shelf made from bricks
and cut up plant trays. There is also a fully submersible (this is
important) aquarium heater that sits on the bottom of the aquarium, under
the shelf towards one end of the set up. The aquarium is filled with
water to the level of the shelf.

        NOTE FROM EXPERIANCE aquarium heaters are electrical units and
should NEVER be plugged in if not actually in water. Besides the risk of
getting burned, they can explode, and will certainly break VERY VERY fast.
put the heater in the aquarium, add the water and then plug in the heater.
To remove the heater, unplug it first and wait 15 minutes for it to cool,
or else your $50.00 heater will be toast in about 3 seconds. When
draining an aquarium, unplug the heater before doing ANYTHING else. I have
been messing about with all sorts of heaters for many years and probably
have found every way possible to break them.

        Back to the rooting chamber. Over the top of the aquarium is a
sheet of plexiglass to seal in the humidity. I use up to three sets of
twin tube florescent lighting units depending on the size of the aquarium.
I use cool white bulbs or the show and grow types if they are on sale. I
do not notice any difference between them as far as the plants are
concerned. The cuttings are rooted in rockwool cubes about 4" in size.
This I do to minimize any transplant shock and advise that it not be
tampered with. It makes the potting process really easy btw. They all
sit under 24 hour photoperiod and I find this really makes a difference.
Once they have rooted, and this I judge by the amount of top growth AND
when roots begin to poke out the sides of the rockwool cubes, I remove
them from the rooting chamber and put them in another aquarium that is
empty except for plants. It also is sealed, but I frequently move the
cover to allow circulation and gradual adjustment to normal greenhouse
condtions. It has no artificial lighting above it.
        This is NOT my dream rooting set up however. I do not have room
for that yet. I will describe it for those that do. The one I am basing
this on is in the conservatory at the University of Washington in Seattle.
It comprises a bench of about 3'wide and probably 25' in length with a
raised rim of several inches around it. There are some sort of heat mats,
or heat cables under I think in the U.W. one, I will certainly have these
in mine. It is covered by a tent made of heavy clear poly that is
supported by half hoops of pvc pipe. The sides and ends are held down
with rubberized cord of some sort. The cuttings are placed inside this,
on the bench, or on shallow plates of water and are rooted in rockwool, or
what ever media is suitable for what ever Doug is wanting to root.
Lighting is natural light from the greenhouse and if I recall, right
halides or similar suspended overhead. (I need to go back up there again
soon I guess)
        It is a very simple set up that is quite adaptable and works
marvels. I have seen cuttings done from what we would consider dead wood.
        Hopefully I have provided sufficient details for any one out there
interested to successfully reproduce the set ups and make more Nepenthes.
Good luck!
        Good growing
        Andrew