stagnant terrariums

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Sat Mar 21 1998 - 15:26:16 PST

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:26:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: stagnant terrariums

(Tom - if your attitude towards your flowering S.flava is any indication,
yes, your sense of smell might be going. :)

I've had a 55 gallon long terrarium set up for about 8 months now with
nothing but about 3 inches of sphagnum peat lining the bottom and it's
been doing great with no smell. The peat keeps the terrarium very moist
inside, even when I forget to water for a couple of days, and I think the
natural acidity of the pure peat keeps unwanted growth of algae and other
crud down. Occasionally, I've noticed some of my plants growing roots
through the bottoms of their pots into the peat in the terrarium, but
that's the only "problem" I've ever had with it.

Derek Glidden http://www.illusionary.com
Illusionary.com Home of the Pagan Resource Site
   Web development, database, graphics and general plumbing
Linux, FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP (Say No to NT!)