RE: VFT Dormancy, greenhouses, lighting

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Thu Mar 26 1998 - 09:08:22 PST

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:08:22 -0500
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: VFT Dormancy, greenhouses, lighting

> I am just starting to get involved with CP. My VFT
> are starting to die down and are getting spindly. I
> purchased them in late December or early January. I
> was wondering if it is too late to put them through
> their dormancy period? If so, how long do I keep
> them in dormancy?

You can force them into an artifical dormancy in the fridge, a practice
which has been described many times previously on this list. But first I'd
make sure that dormancy is the reason your VFTs are acting the way they are.
If they are dying back due to adverse conditions (bad water, pest attack,
etc), I'd suspect a forced dormancy in the fridge would finish them off
rather than giving them a rest.

Hope this helps
Phil