cps in Chile

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 19:42:02 PST

Date:          Sat, 28 Mar 1998 19:42:02
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       cps in Chile

Dear Jose,

> I will try to find out about Utricularia and P. antartica in Chile.
> There is no known cultivation of these plants, so I will have to
> search my own path.

I do have in vitro cultures of _P. antarctica_ since 3 years (TNX 2
Robert Allen).

There is, however, a not yet cultivated (AFAIK) _Pinguicula_ in Chile,
viz. _P. chilensis_. It was originally collected in Valdivia. I will
try to find out more precise data this weekend. Be prepared for a
mountain trip! Before I forget to mention it, I would love to try
seeds for in vitro culture. TNX for all your efforts in advance.

> It would be very helpful if I can find somewere a photograph of
> P. antartica.

Do you have the Casper monograph of 1966? He has some drawings of the
corollas of the different Andine _Pinguicula_ species. If you
will take some photos of _P. chilensis_ yourself, these would count
among the first altogether (I think some photo may have been
published somewhere already, but I do not have a reference at hand).

BTW: Carnivorous Plant Newsletter (of which I am a coeditor) is always
interested in publishing good photos of interesting cps. _P.
chilensis_ is a *very* interesting cp!

Kind regards
Jan