Pollen storage

From: Aaron J. Hicks (ahicks@rt66.com)
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 19:18:14 PST

Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 20:18:14 -0700 (MST)
From: "Aaron J. Hicks" <ahicks@rt66.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pollen storage

        Not that storage of pollen is exactly the same between orchids and
CPs (of course, insectivorous plants come from a diversity of backgrounds,
and therefore one single set of parameters will probably never do), but
pollinia storage of orchids is generally done over anhydrous calcium
chloride. A few crystals are put into a test tube, followed by a wad of
cotton. This is followed by a piece of paper or foil with the pollinia.
The tube is then sealed, and stored. Frozen or 4 degrees C. Little
research on which is better- but it works for even tropical species.
        Calcium chloride is not a terribly good desiccant, but once it
reaches saturation (difficult if you start with a limited sample of
pollen, in a sealed test tube, with very, very dry calcium chloride
anyway), it maintains a constant humidity atmosphere above the sample as
long as the solution remains saturated, i.e.: so long as there remains
some undissolved compound.
        I have the numbers for humidity of calcium chloride and saturated
solutions at a variety of temperatures in my book that I will be finishing
soon; if anyone needs these numbers, please inquire, since I don't have
'em handy right now.

        -AJHicks
        Socorro, NM