Airy medium for Nepenthes - any suggestions?

From: TheEdge (TheEdge@amdyne.net)
Date: Wed Apr 01 1998 - 11:37:13 PST

Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:37:13 -0000
From: "TheEdge" <TheEdge@amdyne.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Airy medium for Nepenthes - any suggestions?

     Hey its me again, I apologize for writing so much, but I am about to
repot the Neps in hanging baskets and I need to know what medium to buy
before I order or drive somewhere to buy it.
     Right now I am considering either of the following:

Osmunda Fiber
Hydroton Fired Clay Pebbles
Live sphagnum

     Are there any other mediums that are better than the first two for
aeration? The clay pebbles I think I read are not to be used for hanging
baskets because of the weight, but my plants are going to be low (chest
level) and well supported so there will be no risk of them falling on
anybody's head or damaging the plants. They will also be inside to prevent
the wind from tipping, spilling, or knocking down the hanging baskets
either.
     The live sphagnum I am a little hesitant about, since it would probably
not be airy enough (or would photosynthesis from the sphagnum provide even
more oxygen for the roots of the Nepenthes?).
     Any suggestions would be great, since I plan on ordering very soon.
Thanks.
Sincerely,
     TheEdge@amdyne.net