Re: blue nepenthes

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Thu Apr 02 1998 - 13:58:00 PST

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 16:58:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: blue nepenthes

>OK, so I fell for it! In my defense, I guess I let my WANTING to
believe such a plant >could exist override reality. Couldn't a single
mutant somehow go blue like that, then
>be bred for blue nepenthes offspring?
>Good one, Peter :)

You should have seen the number of people Peter got last year when he
reported about crossing the closely related aldrovando (sp?or some other
water cp) with a venus fly trap. He had half the list drooling and
requesting plants.

It was quite the surprise, so, a lot of the victims this year were wise
his and other reports, however, cleverly crafted.

To ease your conscious there are anthocyanins that give a blue tint to
life. The blue tint can be seen in some Nepenthes so theoretically an
all blue Nepenthes just might exist and certainly exists in Peter's
mind, if no where else <gr>.

David
Atlanta, where Sarr flower spikes are springing forth in all the bogs
and that's no April's fool.