N. thorelii growing tips

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 07 1998 - 10:29:34 PDT

Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:29:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. thorelii growing tips

Hi Folks,
        I have a positivly HUGE N. thorelii female. She is sitting in a
hanging pot of several gallon size. There are multiple leads and lots of
traps, plus she flowers every year, producing many (6 is the most so far)
spikes at a time. If only she wasn't so fussy about her accepting the
pollen I put on her.
        To grow... N. thorelii is listed as lowlander. I treat it as
intermediate lowlander. She is hung high up in the greenhouse, near the
heater so that she gets good light and plenty of warmth. The mix is
probably my standard, 2:2:1 bark, perlite and coarse peat. It has been a
few years since I looked. She gets watered daily in the summer, as needed
in winter to be kept moist. Temps range from 55-90 most of the time. I
feed the traps what ever bugs or chopped slugs I get. It helps. She
seems to thrive on being ignored really. I wouldn't say she is slow to
grow either. Usually quite fast, almost gracilis like in fact. I have an
even larger N. gracilis next to her and treat it the same. It is equally
happy, though it has yet to bloom. I advise, treat it with less
pampering. More like an N. gracilis then an N. ampullaria and it will do
fine for you.

        BTW> I too am getting excellent germination and growth from the
A.F. Darlingtonia seed. I can already distinguish in mix 3 the red
containing ones from the non-red. Very few of them so far. I am looking
forward to playing with them in a few years as far as breeding.
        Well, that's it for me.
        Andrew