Re: anthocyanin-free Darlingtonia

From: Ron Schlosser (rons@earthworld.com)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 19:37:07 PDT

Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 18:37:07 -0800
From: Ron Schlosser <rons@earthworld.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: anthocyanin-free Darlingtonia

On 06-Apr-98, Barry Meyers-Rice wrote:

>> These very rare, 3-year-old, antho-free Sarr leucos are $100 each. That
>> was a little too pricey for me so I exercised my consumer right to
>> decline and went and looked at my free seedling trays of antho-free
>> Darlingtonia from Craig and grinned. That was classic passive/agressive
>> Southern behavior you just saw.

>Hi David, et al,

>So it appears the anthocyanin-free seeds from seedbanks are germinating?
>This is good news. If anyone now has anthocyanin-free Darlingtonia
>seedlings, I would love to hear about it. I introduced these plants into
>cultivation and am glad to hear they are germinating. Look to the June
>issue of CPN for a cultivar description of them...

>Barry

>------------------------
>Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
>Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
>Conservation Coeditor
>bazza@ucdavis.edu
>http://www.indirect.com/www/bazza/cps/cpn/cpn.html

Barry and others,

   I too have some of the seeds from the anthocyanin-free Darlingtonia. I
sowed them in December before the artical in the ICPS newsletter came out or
I'dve keeped a better record i.e. number of seeds sown of each of the 3
batches. One thing that I noted was that the seeds from batch #1 (the selfed
anthos) looked smaller, I thought that they might not have the vitality of the
others, and indeed to date I only have 4 seedlings comming up from that batch.
 Batch #3 is showing a large number of seedlings germinating. I'll have to
note the numbers and report back.

   I sowed the seeds on a 50/50 mix of coconut coir and screened pumice (1/8
inch mesh) and covered lightly with screened coconut coir. They were left in
my greenhouse which is only heated if needed to keep my collection of
Sarracinias from freezing.