Darlingtonia seed distribution methods

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 09 1998 - 10:08:59 PDT

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:08:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia seed distribution methods

Hi Folks, Hi Dave,
        Yes, I have noticed how burr-like the seed of Darlingtonia is. It
is my speculation though that they are spread more likely by birds and
then perhaps deer. The flower stalks when dried are home to lots of
spiders and other bugs (at least in my collection) and birds like
red-winged blackbirds and marsh wrens love to climb all over them. The
seed will stick to the feathers and as the birds are clambering all over
the bog anyway, will get transported all over.
        Deer wandering through might brush up against the flowers and
unleash a shower of seed onto thier legs for distribution along the trails
they wander on.
        Any one know about this?
        Good growing
        Andrew