Re: Drosera regia forms & how to grow it

From: Wim Leys (Wim.Leys@vlm.be)
Date: Fri Apr 10 1998 - 00:19:33 PDT

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:19:33 +0200
From: Wim Leys <Wim.Leys@vlm.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera regia forms & how to grow it

Dear Zachary

> >I didn't know D. regia appears in two forms.
> Neither did I. Can you add any more to this statement, Wim. What
> characterizes the different forms? Are their names for them?

> Please feel to jump in too, Jan if you can add anything.

D. regia occurs in only one valley in South-Africa. It grows along a
waterfall. The first plants were discovered at the foot of the
waterfall. This form is the most widespread in cultivation.

More recently, another form was found at the top of the waterfall. It is

becoming more and more spread in cultivation.

The "foot" form differs from the "top" form in that it's flower is more
trumpet shaped, while the other is more flat. (I always have great
difficulties in understanding descriptions given of flower and leaf
forms when described in English, I hope Jan will give you a more
botanically sound description than I just did). Robert didn't mention
different names for them.

I have grown D. regia a few times. They grew well and even flowered
during two years, but died in the third. I have not been successful in
propagating it so I don't have a single plant left.

They grew in a 3 : 1 : 1 peat : sand : perlite mixture. During Summer
the pot stood in 1 cm of water in a south facing window, during winter
it stayed at the same window but it was kept moist (that plant died, so
I kept my second plant in 1 cm water during winter, that one died too).
Any better ideas of how to grow it ?

Kind regards
Wim