strangeness abounds -Antwort

From: Stefan Sehnbruch (Uga0@bk.huels.de)
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 00:51:40 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:51:40 +0100
From: Stefan Sehnbruch <Uga0@bk.huels.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: strangeness abounds -Antwort

>>> charles <charles@dorsai.org> 15.04.98 06.20 >>>
> two questions for the communal mind
>
> 1. why is it that i have 3 vft that i have grown from seed, about 9
> months to a year old and they are scarcely bigger than a 25 cent piece?

I made the same experience, my VFT seedlings were barely bigger than 1
cm in diameter the whole first year. The second year they got a little bigger
but now in the 3rd spring they really seem to explode. Suddenly they start
to grow really long leaves (>2cm) with big traps (~1.5cm) from the little
rosettes.
I don't know why they grow so slow, but it seems to be nothing to worry
about

> 2. i have 2 california darlingtonia, grown from seed that just are not
> growing...they are alive...but that is all i can say....

I did not grow Darlingtonia yet, but about my Sarr. purpurea seedlings It is
just the same. They did not grow very much in the 1st year, but now you
can "watch" them growing. They don't develop large pitchers yet, but you
can see that each pitcher is a little bit bigger than the previous one.

... I think propagating CP by seed never was the fastest way, although to
me it is the most fascinating ...

Good growing

--
Stefan Sehnbruch