RE: Interesting answer on fixtures

From: Carl Gustafson (carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 17 1998 - 04:31:22 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 07:31:22 -0400
From: Carl Gustafson <carl.gustafson@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Interesting answer on fixtures

David Mellard wrote:

>You'll need to wire your CPU fan to an adapter (I think this is the
>right term) in order to plug it into an electrical socket. If there are
>questions about this, I will defer to electrically gifted members of the
>list.

Although I don't consider myself electronically gifted, I can make several
comments here:

In the US, these muffin fans come in both 12 and 120 volt models, also 220,
I think. The 12 volt jobs are DC, 120 and 220 are AC. The AC models can be
hooked up to the wall outlets - the cord from a defunct lamp will work, BUT
if the fan freezes up, and it eventually will, or it gets wet inside, which
is possible in a terrarium-type environment, it and the cord can overheat
and possibly start a fire. You can rig a fuse in the line if you want.

The 12 volt models have less of a problem with this. For these, you need a
12VDC power supply, typically 100-500mA. You can use those power bricks
that come with many electronic gadgets. In fact, you can often buy these
from the same source as the fans. One fan and an adequately-sized brick
will cost less than $10 US. I'd still recommend an in-line fuse; I'm
paranoid.

Also, the fans come in a variety of different air-movement capacities. Some
generate a gentle breeze, others a gale. They also have different sound
ratings, running from pretty quiet to pretty loud.

Finally, and as if that wasn't enough, they come in different sizes, from
around 1" to 5+" diameter.

I have several catalogs from US companies, and can post addresses on Monday
if there is interest. This may not help those outside the US, and the
list-member who raised the thread is in Chile, but there must be
electronics suppliers in most countries (except perhaps New Jersey).

Carl, the Philadelphia Xenophobe.