Re:Digital Camera Info wanted

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 18:05:52 PDT

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:05:52 -0400
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Digital Camera Info wanted

Nigel,

Trent here in the office. Maybe I can point you in the right direction
concerning making close-up images of very small objects--digitally.
Basically, you describe macro photography, and the only field usable
digital cameras capable of this are 35mm SLR designs. Both Canon and
Nikon make digital SLR 's that are part of their respective systems--
that is macro lenses, extention tubes and ring flash. There are several
models in each line, and price increases as resolution of the image and
bit depth increases. Even the cheapest "digital SLR" camera is not
cheap. Here in the US we are starting at about $9000. for the body and
one hard drive. This does not include lenses, flashes etc.

A lot of this depends on the resolution of the image. There are cheaper
models, based around video lenses, that give a resolution no better than
a TV image--between 525 and 650 lines. Check out Sony for these models.
If you plan to only put the picture on the internet, this may be
sufficient, but a broader application requires high res images-- like
35mm --and that brings you back to the Canon and Nikon SLR's. For these
prices, may I suggest E-6 films, like Ektachrome and Fujichromes
(Provia, Velvia, Astia) and a good slide scanner. I very much like the
Polaroid Sprint Scan. The top model is about $1500. Overall, the
quality of scanned 35mm slides combined with software like Adobe
Photoshop blows away digital cameras, dollar for dollar. At this time
the prime advantage of digital cameras is for speed of publication, such
as advertising flyers or photojournalism.

This is my brief overview of a big topic. Hope it is helpful.

That Nepenthes guy in Florida,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Fl.