Feeding utrics

From: steve steve (stevesteve@rocketmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 06:05:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 06:05:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: steve steve <stevesteve@rocketmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Feeding utrics

Hi,

I have been having some problems with my aquatic
utric as it is getting covered with algae. A couple
of people have suggested cures for this. The first
was to add live spagnum to the tank, which I will
try. The other was to add small aquatic worms which
are called bloodworms in the UK.

We have a couple of small goldfish and vary their
diet by buying live bloodworms or live Daphnia for
them. Daphnia are commonly called Water Fleas but are
just a small crustacean (I think). I am going to buy
some of each of these and add them to the utric to
see how it likes them. Some of the Daphnia are quite
big, perhaps 2-3mm in size. Too big for my utric but
the bags also contain hundreds of juveniles which may
be very small indeed. I hope that the scavenging
adults will help keep the tank clean while the
juveniles provide food for the plants. I dont know if
these are available in aquatic shops in France but
here in the UK I pay the the equivilent of about 4
francs a bag (40p).

Another alternative might be to look in any
freshwater pool, long lasting puddle, CP growing tray
etc and find some Ostracods. These are crustaceans
and reproduce rapidly eating small organic debris,
each other (!) etc. I suspect that the Utricularia
spp. will thrive on most small pond creatures like
these but Daphnia may be the most convenient to obtain.

Regards,

Steve