Re: Cephalotus - giant type

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 13:45:00 PDT

Date:    Fri, 24 Apr 98 16:45 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cephalotus - giant type

> I would love to see some dimensions for pitchers for the giant form
> which exceed those above for the normal form. Those of you with
> Cephalotus in your collection might like to post some sizes to the
> list.
>
> The tip from the grower of the specimen I saw was to use a large pot
> c. 20 cm diam, 25-30cm deep. The soil was a sand, peat and a little
> leaf humus as per Adrian Slacks instructions in his book. There were
> 3-4 main crowns in the pot and the plants had been undisturbed for 2-3
> years.

Hello Ross,

   While I have seen a 'giant' Ceph., I was not impressed with the way
it looks. Rather crinkly and ugly. From what I understand of Cephalotus,
I believe the giant form is simply a clone which does have an inclination
for larger pitchers, but not that much bigger. Every single CP species
I have grown shows this same charateristic: In "perfect" conditions they
can grow to much larger than average. Most D. rotundifolia I see are
about two to three inches wide, however in a years time, some can achive
four to five inches. Should these then be called 'giant' form, I think not.

Dave Evans