Re: Benlate

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 07:22:55 PDT

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:22:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Benlate

Just a note on Benlate.

Chances are you will not find it in Florida, (and perhaps the
Southeast?). At least one set of lawsuits originated down here when
Benlate -that may or may not have been contaminated with a herbicide-
devastated a number of commercial farms. I thought that these farms
included both ornamental and agricultural crops. Not only did Benlate
severely damage exisiting crops, but even after the plants were plowed
under and replanted the damage re-emerged with successive plantings. I
have not heard if the tainted land is now back in production. In
addition to the damage to crops, there was a rash (HA) of claims for
illnesses from farm workers who were exposed to the sprayed fields, some
of the injuries were reported as life threatening.

I thought that Benlate was taken off the market completely, but it
sounds like either it has been reintroduced, was never taken off the
foreign market, or maybe was just pulled from my area.

Tom in Fl.