F vs C feedback

From: Jose Gengler (jose.gengler@usa.net)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 14:29:08 PDT

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:29:08 +0000
From: "Jose Gengler" <jose.gengler@usa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: F vs C feedback

Hi!

I have received a lot of messages that tell me about more "intuitive"
approaches that derive the exact formula. I congratulate those who did
it, becuse it is indeed a complex operation that is difficult to
obtain "intuitively". Now let me just add that most of you used two
points of refference, that is, when C=0 then F=32 and when C=100 then
F=212. I just want to point out that these values were EXPERIMENTALY
obtained for the first time. I do not know if this is a HISTORICAL
truth, From a Scientific point of view, I know that these to scales
had to be empiricaly related somehow, becouse the formula of
conversion is represented with a line on a graph, and what I am sure
of is that to draw a straight line in a given direction yiou should
specify at least two points.

I also want top congratulate those who shared that very nice formula
that says F= 2C + 30. For years I have tried to memorize the 9/5 stuff
not realizing that it is VERY close to 2. Also it's very nice that
some compensation is introduced when you add 30 in stead of 32. Now I
feel like a big weight has been removed from my shoulders.

Take care,

()* || () Jose Gengler
()= []=()
() || () jose.gengler@usa.net