Re: tuberous Drosera fertilization

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 28 1998 - 13:38:44 PDT

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 21:38:44 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: tuberous Drosera fertilization

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980427185127.18152B-100000@phssthpok.illusiona
ry.com>, Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com> writes

>A couple of people were talking a few days ago about whether tuberous
>Drosera flowers are self-fertile and someone said no. I have a D.bulbosa
>that's sending up a couple or more inflorescenses and I'm curious if the
>plant itself is not self-fertile, or just the flowers (i.e. like Dionaea
>where the male and female parts don't ripen at the same time) and whether
>it's likely at all I could successfully cross-pollinate it between
>flowers?

As a rule most tuberous Drosera flowers seem to be self sterile though
there are exceptions. Again with one or two exceptions the flowers only
remain open for a few hours so it seems unlikely that the male and
female parts of the flower are receptive at different times.

I have not had D. bulbosa flower so I cannot comment about it setting
seed though in the main it is only D.peltata and D. auriculata which are
self fertile.

Regards,

--
Phil Wilson