Re: maturation of nepenthes seeds

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Apr 29 1998 - 10:22:26 PDT

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:22:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: maturation of nepenthes seeds

Michiel van Bennekom wrote about Nepenthes seeds:

> how long does it take for the seeds to reach
> maturity and how do I know it is that time?
> Do the seedboxes turn brown? What
> is a good way to collect the seeds without damaging the other (immature)
> seeds and the plant itself?

Depending on the species it could take months for the seeds
to mature. Alata is probably faster.

The seed pods eventually turn brown and split open to allow
the seeds to disperse in the wind. You can remove the
pods when they are almost completely brown, or you can wait
until the pods split open. It depends on whether or not you are
doing sterile work with the seeds.

Regards,

Perry Malouf