Re: Using tap water...

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 04:42:34 PDT

Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 07:42:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Using tap water...

Brian wrote:

> ...I've been using tap water for many years on all sp. of c.p. The
> only catch is to let the water stand uncovered for 24 hrs. to allow the
> chlorine to dissapate..no ill effects at all...

I'll bet a lot of people are lucky enough to live where the tap water
is fine for their cp.

Whether or not your tap water can be used on your cp with impunity
depends on the quality of the tap water where you live as well as
the kinds of cp you're growing. It also depends somewhat on how
you water.

If you flush the pots thoroughly so a lot of water drains out the
bottom, then there shouldn't be much accumulation of sediments and
dissolved minerals even if the tap water is hard. But if you water
lightly and frequently so there is no flushing action, then a lot
of junk will be left behind in the potting media as some of the water
evaporates. Solids can accumulate in the potting media under these
circumstances.

My Nepenthes don't grow their best when salts from the water accumulate
in the potting media. That's why I use RO water for them. My orchids,
Droserae, and Dionaea do very well with tap water--I flush the pots
thoroughly when I water.

Regards,

Perry Malouf