CP invasion

From: Ide Laurent (ide@arcadis.be)
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 09:13:01 PDT

Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 17:13:01 +0100
From: Ide Laurent <ide@arcadis.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP invasion

Hi all

Following the CPs in Italy subject, I was walking this week-end in the country
until a place transformed in a fishing pond. Sure, this is an artificial
place, but the overflow of water is collected in two others small pond which
are more 'wild', as they are sowed with aquatic plants, contain young frogs...
It's sure the man who owns this property loves natures, as we can see looking
at the numerous constructions for birds, providing grease or water for them.

I suggested to my girlfriend it should be interesting to sow CPs there in
these 'swamps', though it needs a special installation with peat and sphagnum.
But... here in my area there are NO, absolutely NO CPs, native or others, and
I'm really wondering what kind of danger could it be to re-introduce endemic
plants (utricularia, aldrovanda, drosera rotundifolia, anglica, intermedia,
some butterworts... and non-native CPs from temperate areas).

Knowing that all the land is destroyed by massive agriculture, and that places
like this one are disappearing, could anyone tell me it will be a bad idea ?
That suddenly Sarrs will invade Belgium ? I'll be glad to see these plants
only survive and reproduce in this artificial bog.

Thinking about the introduced plants in Switzerland, it's surely a benefit for
natural richness.

Laurent