Re:Using tap water

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 08:42:42 PDT

Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 11:42:42 -0400
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Using tap water

Hi Everybody,

Thought I would throw in my experience where tap water is concerned. Be
careful. Be very careful.

Where I live, the tap water is terrible, and is certain death for CP's.
It is very hard- mostly dissolved limestone- and our local water works
adds chlorine in massive quantities- I can smell it!. I use RO water on
all my plants- Nepenthes, Sarracenia. and orchids. For a while, only
the orchids were watered with tap water. When I started using RO, some
of the more difficult Oncidiums started to grow and flower. I've heard
this also for growing Paphiopedilums- sorry, don't mean to digress into
orchid horticulture.

>From my own observations, Sarracenia are more picky than Nepenthes, but
>rather
than put them to the test: collect rain water, buy distilled water, go
to the supermarket and buy RO water for 25 cents per gallon (for those
living in the US.).

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida