Re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

From: C. J. Mazur (ccp@vaxxine.com)
Date: Mon May 04 1998 - 18:28:45 PDT

Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 21:28:45 -0400
From: "C. J. Mazur" <ccp@vaxxine.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

>Hello everybody,
>
>I was wondering if somebody ever tried to make a very hardy Sarracenia with
>upright pitchers, which would be suitable for outside cultivation in
>W-Europe.

The question of Sarracenia hardiness has proven over the years to no longer
be questionable! Sarracenia are very hardy, all the species. A gent in
central michigan USDA Zone 5, grows sarrs outside year round. No problem.
I'd assume western europe is quite warm in comparison. The only catch is
that the plants have be grown in an outdoor bog garden. In extremely cold
places with little snow cover it is advisable to cover the plants with
mulch. Freeze drying of plants is fatal, freezing is not!!!!

Best Regards,
Carl J. Mazur
Cherryhill Carnivorous Plants
Ontario Canada
http://www.vaxxine.com/ccphome

"To grow old is manditory... to grow up is optional"