Re: i'm here!

From: Carl Strohmenger (HSC) (cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu)
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 10:16:35 PDT

Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 13:16:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: i'm here!

On Thu, 7 May 1998, The Scotts wrote:

> Just purchased a new VFT. My last one had extremely small traps which
> couldn't hold anything but gnats. Even then, they didn't seem all that
> strong. But I did keep it alive for about seven months, a record for
> me. This one has healthier traps with some red inside.
>
> I have a small fish bowl like container to put the plant in. The
> nursery staff told me to leave the plant in the store's container --
> about 2 1/2" wide -- and set it in the bowl. I have the sand and peat
> moss to use for transplanting. Any suggestions on this?

        I recommend you get it out of the small container ASAP. Plant it in
a 6 inch pot using a sand/peat mixture. With a 6 inch or a 1 gallon pot you
can stand the pot in a shallow tray (1 inch deep) of water all the time.
The roots of this plant need some room to develope and a 2+/- inch pot is
not big enough.
        Set the plant outside so it can catch it's own food and sunshine.
VFTs do not do as well under lights as they do out-of-doors.

FWIW. - Carl