Re: D.adelae seeds; Re: cpshoestring

From: Trevor Christensen (situla@spacestar.net)
Date: Thu May 07 1998 - 16:24:33 PDT

Date: Thu, 7 May 98 18:24:33 -0500
From: Trevor Christensen <situla@spacestar.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.adelae seeds; Re: cpshoestring

Paul V. MuCullough said:
 <<Has anyone seen any evidence of adelae inhibiting growth of surrounding
CP?....... D. intermedias died........ I noticed the same thing happen
to a VFT........... but it seems to be recovering since I've nipped back
the encroaching adelaes.>>

Greeting Paul:
  I have grown D. adelae in a 1/2 3-sided, 1/2 semi-circular 3-4 gallon
fishbowl for a while now. This year I plan to remove them and plant some
tuberous sundew in their place. I began with about four D. adelae in a
bowl with a S. purpurea. Soon the bowl looked like nothing but a mass of
'adelae leaves, and some large 'purp pitchers.
  My purpurea was dong fine -if not light deprived- in that confied
space; that is, until I no longer wanted it in there and proceeded to
*RIP* the purpurea right out (it's fine now). Also, something that I
often forget about the bowl is the existance of a small, but perfect, D.
capensis. From my expirence, no problems exist with community planting
incorporating D. adelae. Under the soil of my plants was hundreds of
plantlets, I was dumbfounded at how prolific the plant is.
FYI, I consider that the "dream" terrarium: consisting of a small layer
of rocks, followed by charcoal; this combo went up an inch or two, where
peat was the only other medium (and a few clumps of live spagnum on the
surface). Simple, yet effective. The container has a stable climate, not
needing to be sealed in order to preserve humidity, and can be moved to
various areas of the house and outdoors with little shock. Its "unit
design", self-sustaining environment (needing only light, and the very
occasional watering), and its thriving, beautiful and deadly contents
enable it to be ported to select areas in order to eat up pests such as
whiteflies, gnats, mosquitos or the numerous other insects which lay eggs
in the soil or on the leaves of plants; the bowl could be considered a
virtual black hole for insects. One day near the hibiscus, nipping at
whiteflies, another day by the dill which hosts it's own population of
delecacies.

>Lowe's had VFT (of course), N. madagascarensis, D. adalae, and P.
>primulfloria. I picked out three of the nicest Pings, for only $2.89 (plus
>tax) each. Can't beat 'em at that price.
>
>Home Depot had VFT, (again, naturally), N. madagascarensis, D. adalae, D
>spathulata, and D. californica (!!). I picked out three of the
>Darlingtonias,
>and one nice D. spathulata, for only $3.23 (plus tax) each. Still not too
>bad
>a price.

Greetings "CMcdon"
  My philosophy for a while now has been to search out all of the
mistreated CP growing on the dark floor under the other plants in a
nursery or gargantuous department store and buy them. The store couldn't
care less, and the plants couldn't have anything better. They are then
given away at my house, or at my CP stand at the farmers market after
being revived, no charge of course; or they are planted in the wild. If
I EVER saw a D. Californica growing in a store I wouldn't stop to think,
I would just buy it. Every time you buy one, the friendly lady at the
register says "good luck!".
  The few places where my demented philosophy doesn't apply is places
like Bachmans who finally tidied up their act and grew +/- 1foot
Sarracenia and an "Octopus Plant" *sigh*, as if they need more silly
names (probably D. Capensis) in a "well lit" location -almost an island-
in the nursery.....right next to the fish oil, but let's ignore that
tactical bluder for a moment.
-Trevor