Taking CPs from the wild

From: vincent uybarreta (vincent.uybarreta@mailexcite.com)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 11:19:26 PDT

Date: 	Fri, 08 May 1998 11:19:26 -0700
From: "vincent uybarreta" <vincent.uybarreta@mailexcite.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Taking CPs from the wild

>Vince again.
>
>I got a couple of emails in response to my "intro" made to y'all on
>May6th.
>
>The first one was about finding fellow cp growers in the TriState area
>(NJ,NY,CT).
 Come on, y'all, don't be shy! I'll be there (Brooklyn) June 15th.
 Share your secrets
on growing cp's in the Concrete & Steel Jungle.

>The other one was concerned about the "spontaneous" growth of the
>D.binata and bladderworts
I claimed to witness and the possibilty that this "spontaneous" growth
may be due to soil and plants harvested from the wild. I just want to
clarify that none of my cp's were stolen from Mother Nature and the
nursery I got them from has a pretty good reputation according to
Internet word-of-mouth and testimonials. I think taking from the wild
is wrong and illegal 99.9% of the time since there is so much material
floating around nurseries, private growers, etc., anyway.

>Below is the message I sent in response:
>
>Thanks for your message.
>
>The top inch of dirt is what I kept from mail ordered packaging of
>plants. I'm
pretty sure the bladderworts and binata were from seeds or minute plant
parts coming from the mail order nursery. The rest of the pot is filled
with my own family recipe of peat and perlite. None of my plants were
harvested from the wild. I think binata is from Australia and I've
never been there (but would like to go to see wild cephalotus).
 I don't even know what kind of bladderwort (if that's even what it is)
 is growing
in my pots. The closest I've ever come to seeing cp's in the wild was
in NJ last summer....I thought (with much excitement) that S.purpurea
was grwoing wild in my parent's yard.....it turned out to be skunk
cabbage! How embarrassing!!!

>My cp's come from mail order, superstores, seed bank, very kind,
>generous, and successful
private growers or "spontaneously".

http://www.mailexcite.com