Re: Conversion of tap water?

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Tue May 12 1998 - 06:52:34 PDT

Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:52:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Conversion of tap water?

> I'm a newcomer to CPs, and live in the West Midlands (UK). So far, I've
> been able to collect enough rainwater to give to my seedlings, but a
> long hot summer might stop this. I'm also slightly worried about
> invasion by weeds, algae etc. that might stray into my rainwater
> containers.
>
> My question: is there a relatively cheap way to make tap water suitable
> for CPs? For example, is there something similar to the stuff you can
> buy to convert tap water into pond water suitable for aquatic life? Does
> boiling help at all? Or should I just buy distilled water in bulk? Also,
> what is it in tap water which actually harms CPs?
>
> Thanks.
> Elliot Smith

The problem with most tap water includes both the addition of chemicals
to make it potable and the naturally desolved solids that are present.
In some areas additional chemicals are added as buffering agents and to
improve the taste.

The best way to convert tap water to "CP water" is by reverse osmosis.
Growers who shift to RO water from other sources usually report being
very pleased with the noticeable improvement in their plants (me
included). A unit cost a little over 100$ here in the US. I know this
is a bit steep for some enthusiasts, but once you build up a collection
of any size, the investment is worth it.

I know of nothing that easily and cheaply removes the desolved minerals
from tap water except various "water softeners". Unfortunately they
typically replace calcium with sodium - which is not helpful.

Tom in Fl.