Re: Lyme disease and NJ...

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 08:40:52 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:40:52 -0600
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Lyme disease and NJ...

>Also, can someone advise me on techniques for avoiding the dreaded
>Lyme disease? I've read about it and want to minimize my risks.

Hopefully some of the veteran boggers out there can share their tricks
and techniques. I thought I would mention that at least in studies on
dogs, the infectious agent, Borrelia (sp?) was only transmitted several
hours after biting the host which in turn was several hours after contact
with the host. This gives a typical window of 8-12 hours from time of
first contact to check your dog (or yourself?) out thoroughly and remove
ticks. The tick involved is extremely small however so you need to be
thorough. As I said, this study was in dogs, so while it makes sense
that it would be similar in humans I can't say that with certainty.

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/