Re: FW: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 14:18:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 13 May 98 17:18 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: FW: Hardy upright Sarracenia hybrids

Dear Wim and David,

>> I have not yet experimented with S. psittacina to keep it outside
>> during winter. Is it as frost resistant as other Sarracenia's ?
>> Is there a gradation about frost tolerance among Sarracenia's ?
>
> The experience is my outdoor bog is that S. psittacina is not as hardy
> as the other Sarr. I seem to loose a few psitts every winter, while
> others do fine. I'm not sure yet what factors are at play since even in
> a relatively small bog microclimates exist that might be a factor,
> particularly if wind is the factor that is affecting survival.

   This is very true, David. I feel the main reason S. psittacina
doesn't do as well as most other Sarracenia regarding surviving freezing
winters is it's shape; which leaves too much of the rhizome and apical
meristem exposed to the cold wind. The leaves of all other Sarracenia
are shaped in a way that doesn't prevent leaves and other debris from
from helping to mulch the plants whereas S. psittacina's leaves tend
to form flat rosettes which do not permit the rhizome direct contact
with the ground or for debris to mulch the rhizome.
   I would guess that is why they do so much better if flooded through
winter, since that way the wind can't get at them.

Dave Evans