Re: Ping Question?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 18:41:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 13 May 98 21:41 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ping Question?

> From: "Cameron & Gyorgyi Sutt" <thesutts@SOUND.NET>
>
> Earlier, I asked about whether it was possible to grow p. vulgaris (I think
> that's what it is) outside, in the shade, when the temps get up to
> 35+C(96+F). I never received any replies. If someone has the time, please
> help me out here.

Hello Cameron,

   We get temps like that in New Jersey and my P.vulgaris are still
alive... As well as P.grandiflora, which is becoming a weed with all
the gemmae they produce. I believe these plants grow in some odd-ball
places, from hillsides to cliffs. The temperatures, even without direct
sun, must be fairly extreme in exposed locations like that. I don't
feel temperature is a big deal for *most* Pinguicula.
   The big things you need to watch for are the soil, is it right
for this species--vulgaris likes peat/sand, well drained but constantly
somewhere between damp and wet. The humidity high enough around the
plants? Day length is another big deal for hardy Pinguicula. If they
think it's fall, they will form winter-buds that do need to kept cool/
cold until growth resumes. I have a hard time with this when I move
them. When I take them outside after the seedlings have grown out some,
they go dormant. When I transplant to another location with different
lighting, they go dormant. Some of the hardy Pings I have are fully
dormant half way though August! I guess these are from places where the
growing season is a lot shorter than here, probably due to the altitude
of the original location.
   Keep in mind that Pinguicula are rather fragile (easy to damage)
compared to most CP, so your failure (lets hope not) to establish P.
vulgaris (how many plants will you try?) in your conditions could
easily be a fluke.

Dave Evans