Re: Ticks & Lyme in bogs...

From: Tim Williams Ext. 5529 (tjw@chos001.cho.ge.com)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 06:40:35 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:40:35 -0400
From: tjw@chos001.cho.ge.com (Tim Williams Ext. 5529)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ticks & Lyme in bogs...

Paul V. McCullough wrote:

>One other thing to note to all of the precautions voiced here so far
>(and well done, troops!)- Should you fail to notice a tick and you DO
>get bitten, one of the tell tale signs of Lyme infection is a
>"Bull's-eye" pattern around the bite. Within 24 hours there's an onset
>of flu-like symptoms.

Please be aware that it may take up to several months for symptoms to
appear. The last time I got Lyme disease, it took six weeks from the
time I removed the tick until the bull's eye symptom appeared.

I am in the habit of preserving all ticks in alcohol to aid the doctor
later if symptoms do appear.

>There's also been news of a vaccine coming next year that might make bog
>trips a little less hazardous.

My doctor tells me that the vaccine is available now, although he has
not been able to get it for me yet. I will post again if and when I
actually receive the shots. Rumor has it that the vaccine is a series
of three shots with extremely painful side effects.

Tim Williams